This week, Julia is giving spring the green light with a bright, beguiling soup that’s worth a mint!
“As fast as spring arrives (and with it…asparagus!!), it seems to fly by. Fortunately, this is a recipe that can keep up. A�Lightening quick, this simple soup comes together in minutes and is a fantastic way to preserve the early harvest. A�I’m thinking next time I will reduce the stock, add more yogurt and toss this bright bowl with some ravioli or thin noodles. A�With a bit of grated hard cheese (perhaps something from Fifth Town), this soup can easily turn into the main attraction!”
Recipe: Spring Pea & Asparagus Soup
Feel free to bump up the green goodness by adding arugula, spinach or kale.
- 4 cups stock
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 Ontario white onion, diced
- 3 cups Ontario peas (fresh or frozen)
- 2 cups Ontario asparagus, chopped
- 1/2 cup Ontario mint, chopped
- Ontario yogurt (look for Country Meadows Organic‘s grand goat yogurt at the markets this summer) or crA?me fraA�cheA�(optional)
- Salt and pepper
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add diced onions and cook until translucent and soft, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add stock and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, add asparagus. Wait 2 minutes and add in peas.
- Simmer soup mixture for 5 minutes.
- Add in chopped mint and puree with an immersion hand blender (my dream) or in batches with a blender or food processor (my reality).
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve with a dollop of yogurt and more fresh mint.
Preparation time: 5 minute(s)
Cooking time: 15 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4
About Taste Tested
From the farm to the table, it�s easy to be inspired by Ontario�s endless parade of edibles. WithA�?Taste Tested?, OCTA�s staff are sharing their freshest finds and dishing outA�their favourites of the season. A�Come discover what�s on our table � literally!