This week, Rebecca’s sharing a recipe that’s sure to be a bread winner in your family!
“Call me crazy but I didn�t like tomatoes until I was in my late twenties. I always wanted to but just couldn�t get past the texture. A�Turns out I was eating the wrong tomatoes. It wasn�t until I went to Vicki�s Veggies‘ very firstA�Heirloom Hurrah (a celebration of the all of the heirloom tomatoes Vicki and her partner Tim Noxon grow on their farm) that my love affair began. A�This past weekend Tim & Vicki hosted their 10thA�Heirloom Hurrah and I picked up all the ingredients to make their perfect Panzanella. Next weekend, I�ll be there to pick up tomatoes for canning – time to get red-y for fall!”
Recipe: Vicki�s Veggies Famous Bread Salad (Panzanella)
This panzanella is a real crowd pleaser. A�Feel free to half the recipe if you’ve got a smaller army to feed!
- A? large baguette cut into large chunks (I used half a loaf of Humble Bread Wilson Road Rye that I grabbed at the Heirloom Hurrah)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp thyme or rosemary (I suspect oregano would work well too)
- Toss chunks of bread with oil and spices.
- Toast bread in the oven, or fry on stovetop if you happen to be cabin bound like myself!
- Blend all ingredients in food processor until smooth.
- 6 lbs. of Ontario heirloom tomatoes, cut into chunks
- 1 red onion, cut into slivered wedges
- A?-1/2lb of mozzarella, cut into cubes (I used River�s Edge Goat Cheese Feta as that�s what I had in myA�refrigerator)
- 1 handful of Ontario basil, coarsely chopped
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients together with those beautiful croutons you just made.
- Just before serving, add in the dressing and toss away!
Preparation time: 20 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 8
About Taste Tested
From the farm to the table, it�s easy to be inspired by Ontario�s endless parade of edibles. WithA�?Taste Tested?, OCTA�s staff are sharing their freshest finds and dishing outA�their favourites of the season. A�Come discover what�s on our table � literally!