We know that the Vancouver-based organization has been working on ensuring healthy oceans for generations to come, but did you know Ocean Wise is also working on ensuring the healthy of lakes, rivers and in land aquaculture resources?
On that note, they’ve put together a brand new updated lakefish guide to help you find sustainable, lake friendly options when shopping or dining out.
- Rainbow/Brown Trout,Closed-system farmed
- Whiteleg Shrimp, Closed-system Farmed
- Tilapia, Closed-system Farmed
- Lake Trout, Bottom gillnet or trap net caught
- Pickerel, Bottom gillnet or trap net caught
- Lake Whitefish, bottom gillnet or trap net caught
- Yellow Perch, Bottom gillnet or trap net caught
- Rainbow Smelt, Bottom gillnet, trap net or midwater trawl caught
Over-fishing is one of the biggest threats our oceans, lakes and rivers face today. The Ocean Wise symbol next to a seafood item is our assurance of an ocean-friendly seafood choice. Look for it in grocery stores, on menus and online.
Want to support the cause? Join us at the Ocean Wise Chowder Chowdown this November!
Top Ocean Wise chefs compete head-to-head for the title of 2017 Ocean Wise Chowder Chowdown Champion in Toronto. Taste all the delectable original chowders, paired with local craft beer, ciders and spirits, and vote for your favourite, all in support of sustainable seafood.
All proceeds directly support the Ocean Wise sustainable seafood program, which helps to ensure ocean life will be abundant for generations to come.