We get a little crazy around this time every year, we know. It’s maple season — which is the first sign of spring, of sunshine, of warmer days. It’s the first harvest for Pete’s sake! We make no apologies.
So how do we celebrate the season? A Savour Stratford Maple Trail adventure! This self-guided tasting tour offers 22 unique maple tastings during the months of March and April before hibernating for another year, just like the syrup buckets.
Here’s a taste: Artisans offer aged maple balsamic vinegar, an ice cream sundae drizzled with warm maple syrup, luscious creamy fudge cooked in a copper kettle, maple walnut shortbread cookies, chocolate covered melt-in-your-mouth maple creams, traditional hand-poured maple sugar candy…. plus, tempting beverages such as Ceylon loose leaf tea blended with almond flakes and natural maple flavour, maple mocha java coffee beans to take away and brew at home handcrafted maple flavoured moonshine. You read that right: maple moonshine.
Unexpected delights on the trail include locally made all natural essential oil maple soap, a homemade maple foot soak and suds capturing the essence of maple, bacon and coffee combined.
Of course, no maple trail would be complete without local maple syrup direct from the sugar shack at McCully�s Hill Farm. This year you have the option to hop on a wagon ride through the sugar bush on weekends in March.
This year, participating businesses include:
- Artful Badger, 96 Downie Street
- Black Angus Bakery, 443 Erie Street
- Blowes Cards & Gifts, 34 Wellington Street
- Buzz Stop, 17 York Street
- Chocolate Barr�s Candies, 55 George Street
- Dee Image Co., 100 Downie Street
- Distinctly Tea, 18 York Street
- Downie Street Burgers,107 Downie Street
- Gentle Rain Natural Health Food Store, 30 Rebecca Street
- The Hub, 27 Market Place
- JENN and Larry�s Brittle �n Shakes and Ice Cream Cakes, 49 York Street
- Junction 56 Distillery, 45 Cambria Street
- Kandy Cakes, 47 York Street
- Keystone Alley, 34 Brunswick Street
- McCully�s Hill Farm, 4074 Perth Line 9, St. Marys
- Olive Your Favourites, 21 York Street
- Pavillion Coffee & Crepes, 33 Market Place
- Revival House, 70 Brunswick Street
- Rheo Thompson Candies, 55 Albert Street
- The Spa Near the Tracks, 20 Cooper Street
- Stratford Country Club, 53 Romeo Street North
- Treasures, 151 Ontario Street
For more on the Savour Stratford Maple Trail, check out the Stratford Tourism website.