Welcome to #LocalDishTO! Live Green Toronto and Feast ON have joined forces to encourage people to enjoy more of the fresh and delicious food that’s grown right here in Ontario. This month, we’re showcasing Ontario asparagus!
The recipe below features Ontario asparagus paired with Ontario egg, Ontario cheese and guanciale from Niagara. A special thanks to Feast ON Chef Fabio Bondi, of Local Kitchen and Wine Bar, in Parkdale. Scroll to the bottom to watch Fabio prepare his dish.
- 10 pieces of Asparagus cut on an angle
- 25 grams of guanciale sliced
- 2 egg yokes (for the Zabaione)
- 50 grames of grated pecorino (Fifth Town pecorino)
- 3 table spoons of pristine sunflower oil
- Half tea spoon of red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Start by boiling water in a sauce pot.
- Crack eggs and separate the yokes and the whites. Set aside.
- Heat two table spoons of sunflower oil in a pan and fry the guanciale over medium heat till goldeb brown.
- While guanciale is frying, add 25 grams of pecorino to the egg yokes along with a pinch of salt, and a half teaspoon of red wine vinegar.
- Next, whisk over boiling water until cheese has melted and air has been incorporated into the zabaione and set aside.
- Once the guanciale is golden brown remove the guanciale from the pan reserving it’s rendered fat.
- Next, add your sliced asparagus to the hot oil (rendered fat) and toss to coat the asparagus (off the direct heat). Season with salt and pepper.
- Next, on a warm plate spoon your tossed asparagus on the plate. Drizzle your zabaione over the asparagus, then scatter your fried guanciale over the dish.
- Top the plate off with grated pecorino and drizzle sunflower oil to finish.