What is a B-Corp?Certified B Corporations™, or benefit corporations, are organizations that live by the mantra of “using business as a force for good”. This certification is a third-party measurement of a business’ commitment to do good in this world – whether it means being environmentally sustainable, socially just, and/or open & accountable to those who do (or don’t do) business with them. You can usually find a sign like this somewhere in their window or on their website.
Why become a certified B-Corp?You become part of an inclusive, international community of like-minded corporations. B-Corps are advocates for this “do good” movement but it also makes great business sense. The idea is that with this mantra, you can attract and retain good employees, distinguish yourself within your industry, improve customer trust and ultimately, increase your bottom line. You have to become certified and being able to meet and maintain these standards differentiates B-Corps from their competitors.
How do you become certified?
Your business must meet performance and legal requirements. Learn more here. To make it official, you sign the B Corp Declaration of Interdependence:
Just a few ways our favourite #FeastOn B-Corps in Ontario do good.
Beau’s All Natural, Ltd., Vankleek Hill
- Gives preference to local suppliers with good environmental track records, and who treat their employees fairly and with respect.
- The first craft brewery in Canada to choose 100% green natural gas and 100% green electricity in partnership with Bullfrog Power.
- Beau’s employees are able to purchase ownership of the brewery.
- Used grains go to local farmers for feed, and spent yeast and organic by-products create energy to run a local farm.
- Their beer labels, posters, business cards, brochures and coasters are printed on recycled paper.
- “Our ultimate goal is to achieve a zero carbon footprint,” says founder Bob Desautels. Don’t miss Bob at the 2018 Terroir Symposium where he will speak more about building a healthy community.
- They live by the motto, “By Neighbours, For Neighbours”, resulting in a transparent food chain, safer foods, a more diversified & stronger local economy, less pollution, and greater connection to local farmers & producers.
- Serves only sustainably-harvested seafood and are Ocean Wise and Eco Certified.
- Supports the Speed River Project and The Grand River Conservation Authority.
- Prioritizes a work culture that respects and develops team members while promoting life balance and personal growth.
100 KM Foods Inc., Toronto
- Provides Ontario producers a dedicated channel for the sales, marketing and distribution of their products at a fair price.
- Gives preference to local/sustainable suppliers and requires specific environmental criteria.
- Offers free locally-grown food and paid time off for community service to employees
- Partners with The Stop Community Food Center to distribute in-kind donations
- Ships products in reusable containers that are returned and used again.
Paintbox Catering & Bistro, Toronto
- Offers unique catering services with a strong environmental mandate
- Provides training, career and business development opportunities to individuals facing systemic barriers to employment
- Prepares food from scratch using high-quality, local ingredients
- Work directly with local farmers and Toronto’s top purveyors
“We utilize the experience of B Lab and B Corp colleagues to continually strengthen our mandate and provide greater beneficial impact for all stakeholders.”