Ontario Craft Beer Week is in full swing having launched on Sunday–part of an annual tradition to launch on Father’s Day.
Ontario Government Supports Local Beer Makers Across the Province giving Ontarians the chance to taste a wide variety of locally-made lagers, ales, pilsners, porters and stouts, and to support a thriving industry that is creating good jobs and economic growth.
“Ontario�s craft brewing industry is a fast-growing industry, helping to grow our economy and create jobs while making a top-quality product. As our province�s craft brewers continue to receive international attention for the work they do, Ontarians across the province are proud of their talented local brewers and our government is proud to support them” said Dr. Eric Hoskins, Minister of Economic Development, Trade and Employment.
Through the Ontario Microbrewery Strategy, the province is helping small brewers explore new marketing, training and tourism development opportunities.
Craft beer is a growing and important industry in Ontario, with highlights that include:
- Craft brewers employ over 650 people in direct brewery jobs.
- There are 47 microbreweries, up from 40 in 2004, currently licensed to operate in Ontario, producing over 140 international beer styles.
- In 2012, Ontario’s craft beers led LCBO sales in all categories, including wine and spirits, with nearly 45 per cent sales growth.
Providing the right climate to attract investment, create jobs and grow the economy is part of the new Ontario government’s plan to build a prosperous and fair province.
As Steve Abrams, of Toronto’s Mill Street Brewery said:
“Ontario Craft Beer Week gives customers the chance to experience the premium quality and culture of Ontario craft beer. As a brewer and co-chair of this event, I am proud to work with the Ontario government on promoting the craft beer industry in our province.”
OCTA got a sampling (literally!) of what’s in store for the week at the official launch of Ontario Craft Beer Week. The Launch featured the “Pan-Ontario” beer, a barrel aged collaboration featuring Beau’s All Natural, Flying Monkeys, Great Lakes, Amsterdam and Wellington. You can sample some of this dark-ale throughout the week at various events.
Cheers to that!
SOME QUICK FACTS:
- Ontario Craft Beer Week is hosted by Ontario Craft Brewers, an organization representing more than 30 local microbreweries across the province.
- Find Ontario craft beers near you on iPhone and Android with OCB Beer Locator App � you can browse a list of Ontario craft beers sold in the LCBO or The Beer Store or at local licensees, alphabetically or by brewery.