Hook, line, supper!A�This week Danielle, our Director of Product Development is tying on her apron and frying up her favourite fish recipe – that just so happens to be gluten free!
“Fish and Chip Fridays” have become a highlight in our home each week. We love using this recipe by London superstar Heston BlumenthalA�to fry our Lake Huron pickerel or perch.A� Since my diet is gluten free, we’ve adapted the recipe to include gluten free flour and incorporate Ontario’s Still Waters Vodka. It was super delicious! Enjoy!”
Recipe: Battered Fish & Chips
Shake things up with a gluten-free batter for all the wheat-belly sufferers out there.
- 150g Bob�s Red Mill All Purpose Gluten Free Flour or mixture of: 50 g Full of Beans Bean Flour, 10 g Potato Starch, 50 g White Sorghum Flour, 40 g Fava Bean Flour, 1 tbsp Tapioca Flour
- 50 g Sweet Rice Flour
- 3 tbsp Ontario Maple Syrup
- 1 bottle of Ontario gluten free beer–we like the Nickel Brook Green Apple Pilsner
- 300 mL Still Waters Single Malt Vodka
- A? tbsp. salt
- 4 pieces of Ontario pickerel (we picked ours up from Out of the Blue in Bayfield)
- Stir sweet rice flour, maple syrup, beer, vodka, salt and paprika together until mixed well. The batter should be fairly thin.
- Put into gas canister (or sodastream canister) and chill for 30 minutes. Preheat fryer to 375F.
- Put all purpose flour (or bean flour mix) in a shallow bowl to mix with a A? tbsp of salt and pinch of paprika and dip fish in dry flour.
- Squirt batter from canister into a bowl and dip floured fish into bowl with batter.
- Put fish into fryer and drip batter over fish while frying (see video below).
- Fry until golden brown.
Preparation time: 1 hour(s)
Cooking time: 30 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4
BONUS: Triple Cooked Chips
Cut Ontario potatoes into thick chips.
Parboil until they almost fall apart.
Preheat fryer to 315F.
Chill for 45-60 minutes (place on a tray).
Fry in oil at 375F until cooked through and just turning colour.
Chill for 30 minutes (on a tray). Turn Fryer to 375F.
Fry at 375F until golden brown and crispy.
And you can’t forget the Tartar Sauce!
1/3 cup mayonnaise (we started making ours from scratch and never looked back!)
2 Ontario dill pickles, finely chopped
1 tsp Ontario pickle juice
Fresh Ontario dill or Ontario fennel green, finely chopped
1 tsp capers, finely chopped
Mix all ingredients together and serve with fish and chips.
About Taste Tested
From the farm to the table, it�s easy to be inspired by Ontario�s endless parade of edibles. WithA�?Taste Tested?, OCTA�s staff are sharing their freshest finds and dishing outA�their favourites of the season. A�Come discover what�s on our table � literally!