Welcome to #LocalDishTO! Live Green Toronto and Feast ON have joined forces to encourage people to enjoy more of the fresh and delicious food that�s grown right here in Ontario. This month, we�re showcasing Ontario kale!
Thanks to Feast ON Chef Giacomo Pasquini, of Vertical Restaurant for sharing his recipe for Ontario Lacinato Kale Salad and Egg. Kale season in Ontario is from June through to November, so get it locally while you can!
- 1 bunch Ontario lacinato kale
- 1 egg
- 7 pc. Ontario raspberry
- 6 pc. Ontario chanterelle mushroom
- 50 gr. pecorino cheese
- 50 gr sunflower seed
- 3 tbs. Pristine Gourmet canola oil
- 1/2 tbsp. Pristine Gourmet raspberry vinegar
- salt and pepper
- In a small pot bring the water up to 140-150 F, drop an egg in and let it sit at that temperature for 40 min. Try to check the temp constantly.
- Take the middle stem off the kale leaf, and cut the leaf very thin.
- Put the kale in a bowl add oil, salt, pepper, vinegar, and the seeds, and let it stay in the bowl until it wilts slightly.
- Take the chantarelles and tear them apart gently, put them in a bowl with salt, pepper and oil.
- After 3-4 min you will start to see the kale getting softer, add some pecorino, adjust the seasoning if needed.
- Spread the kale on the plate, add the rasberry, chanterelle, and top it up with the rest of the seeds.
- Once the egg is ready, take it out of the water, and break the shell gently against the side of a bowl, letting the egg fall into the bowl. You'll have a very soft and runny egg (that's ok!), try to get all the yolk with just a bit of the egg white, if you can.
- Put the egg right in the middle of the salad.