Welcome to #LocalDishTO! Live Green Toronto and Feast ON have joined forces to encourage people to enjoy more of the fresh and delicious food that�s grown right here in Ontario. This month, we�re showcasing Ontario apples!
This month our recipe comes to us from Feast ON Chef Eric Wood, at PORT Restaurant in Pickering. Check out his recipe for Almond Apple cake below, as well as an instructional video, and you’ll be baking in no time! You’re going to want to save some room for dessert!
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- 3/4 cup butter, unsalted
- 4 apples, peeled, cored, and cubed to 1/2 inch
- 1 cup ground almonds
- 1 2/3 cups icing sugar
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup egg whites (5 or 6 eggs)
- pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 450°F (230°C).
- Brush muffin pans with melted butter. Place in freezer.
- Melt remaining butter in heavy pan. Add cubed apples, simmer on low for 20 mins., remove apples.
- Mix almonds, sugar, flour, and salt. Add egg whites and blend thoroughly. Add apples and mix thoroughly until thin and pourable.
- Spoon the batter into the molds, filling halfway. Place baking sheet in center of oven, bake until cakes start to rise (7 mins.). Reduce heat to 400°F(205°C) bake until light brown and they begin to firm (about 7 more mins.). Turn off heat, let rest in oven until firm (another 7 mins.).
- Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes. Unmold.
- Serve warm financiers with vanilla ice cream, or caramel sauce - or both!