Overview: To provide assistance with bringing Evergreen’s vision of the Evergreen Brick Works Garden Market to life: a mission-driven retail and educational garden centre that will inspire Torontonians to garden ecologically on their home landscape.
Application Deadline: March 30, 2012
Start date/term of contract: Seasonal Hourly
1. Hard Goods and Food Research
• Sourcing of hard goods and food products consistent with Evergreen Garden Market’s purchasing philosophy of local and sustainable products.
• Negotiation with suppliers.
• Cultivating continuing good relationships with current suppliers.
• Exploring new products on offer from current suppliers.
2. Product Buying
• Placing weekly orders with suppliers
• Tracking deliveries, invoices and payment
• Crafting seasonal product purchase plans.
3. Floor Merchandising
• Crafting highly attractive and organized merchandise displays.
• Developing a merchandise stratagem in cooperation with other Evergreen Garden Market team members.
4. Sales and Customer Service
• Provide friendly and enthusiastic customer service to guests
• Accurately operate a computerized POS system and with cash handling
• Accurately record keep in relation to cash procedures
Model’s EG’s Core Values
• Analytical/Decision Making/Problem Solving skills. Draw insightful conclusions from information. Assess situations to determine the importance, urgency and risks, and make clear decisions which are timely and in the best interests of EG. Assess difficult situations to identify causes, gather and process relevant information, generate possible solutions, and make recommendations and/or resolve the problem.
• Calm under pressure. Demonstrate composure in stressful situations.
• Communication. Speak, listen and write in a clear, confident, respectful, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
• Customer-focus. Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of internal and external customers/donors to meet or exceed their expectations and receives positive feedback from internal and external customers/donors.
• Flexibility/adaptability. Flexible, versatile and/or tolerant in a changing work environment while maintaining effectiveness and efficiency. Adjust quickly to changing priorities and conditions. Cope effectively with complexity and change.
• Proactivity/Enthusiasm/Persistence. Act without being told what to do. Passionate and excited over work. Can-do attitude. Tenacious and goes the distance to get something done.
• Supervised by: Operations Manager, Evergreen Garden Market
• Supervises: volunteers
• Experience in retail sales, preferably garden centres
• Knowledge of plant material, particularly native plants
• A keen eye and understanding towards merchandising
• Experience in operating a computerized POS system and with cash handling
• Experience in record keeping in relation to cash procedures
• Working outdoors in inclement weather
• Required to work days, evenings, and weekends as scheduled
• Standing for extended periods of time
• Lifting heavy objects on a regular basis
• Doing repetitive tasks with few breaks
Cover letters and resumes can be submitted by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
By Mail to Attention: Human Resources
Centre for Green Cities, Suite 300
Evergreen Brick Works, 550 Bayview Avenue
Toronto, Ontario M4W 3X8
Evergreen welcomes applications from persons of diverse backgrounds and is an equal opportunity employer.
We sincerely thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be notified. No phone calls please.