There’s a new way to support local food in Wellington County this winter.
Eat up Your February is a new awareness campaign by the County of Wellington’s Taste Real initiative. It aims to showcase local food options and support farms and food retailers in the winter months.
This is a traditionally quiet time of year for farmers and locavores alike. While the fields may be bare, farmers and chefs alike know there’s still plenty of locally grown goodness to be had. There’s no better time to support the cheese makers, brewers, egg farmers, preserves and artisans in Ontario.
From February 3rd -19th selected locations throughout Wellington County and Guelph will be offering specials, deals, local food menus and samples as part of the Taste Real Experiences campaign.
“The winter and early spring is typically seen as an off-season for local food, due to seasonal unavailability of freshly grown vegetables and fruit,” says Christina Mann, Taste Real Coordinator. “Wellington County farms and businesses still offer a huge variety of products, including meat, dairy, eggs, prepared foods and much more.”
Taste Real Experiences hopes to engage people around food and includes experiences such as special events, workshops, as well as food, brewery and distillery tours. There are special offers, discounts and samples to be had all month long.
Our friends at Best Baa Dairy are offering 15% off sheep milk products and Reroot Organic Farm is doing Buy One, Get One heritage pork roasts. Many local Community Shared Agriculture farms are also offering special incentives for anyone interested in signing up to their spring and summer vegetable share programs.
“It is especially important to support our local farms and food businesses in this traditionally quiet time of year.” says Crystal Ellis, Economic Development Manager at the County of Wellington. “Sales can be slow and expenses high as farms are investing into seeds and equipment for the upcoming growing season.”
There’s some pretty neat events in the works too. Check it out:
- Introduction to Permaculture – February 8th – Turn your home into the greenest home on the block, all the while saving money and making a super healthy, beautiful and inspiring environment for family, friends and community.
- Brunch at The Friendly Chef, Hillsburgh – Enjoy Saturday/Sunday brunch at the Friendly Chef’s new location in Hillsburgh for the month of February
- Whole Circle Farm, Acton – Come by for a self-guided tour of the farm at anytime during Taste Real Experiences.
- Guelph Farmers Market Guided Tour – February 18th – Join in on a guided tour for first-time/new customers or those looking to make the most out of their market experience.
- Taste DeTours, Guelph – new tours like Love Bites Heartfelt Food & Bevvy Tour join the much loved To The Core Food Tour for the month.