This week, Julia’s got a recipe she’s ‘bean’ waiting to share for months!
“I’ll just come out and say it – I’m not big on Caesars. A�Please don’t turn me over to the Mounties! A�What I am big on? Pickled anything. A�And Caesars, bless their hearts, just happen to come with their own pickle tray. A� This recipe for dill beans will add the crowning touch to your next round of you-know-whats while keeping those pickle purists from clamming up.”
Recipe: Caesar Beans
Dress up your next charcuterie or cheese plate with a few of these dilly delights!
- 4 cups Ontario apple cider vinegar ( 5% acidity)
- 3 tbsp pure kosher salt
- 8 sprigs Ontario dill
- 4 cloves Ontario garlic
- 8 dried red hot chillies
- 1/2 tsp black peppercorns
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (add more if you want a spicier bean)
- 2 lbs trimmed crisp Ontario green or yellow beans
- Wash the jars and keep them completely submerged in a canning pot with boiling water. Do the same with lids in a small saucepan.
- Combine vinegar, 4 cups of water and salt in a large pot. Stir to dissolve the salt and bring to a boil.
- Remove hot jars from canning pot and place upright on a folded towel.
- Divide dill, garlic, chillies, peppercorns and cayenne pepper into each jar. Pack the beans into each jar.
- Ladle vinegar mixture into each jar. Leave 1/2 inch headspace in each jar and make sure all beans are submerged.
- Remove bubbles in jar using chopsticks or the end of a wooden spoon.
- Wipe rims of jars with a clean towel. Use tongs to grab a flat lid out of the saucepan and put a lid on each jar. Screw on lids.
- Return the jars to water in the canning pot. Bring to a simmer for 12 minutes.
- Remove jars to towel and leave overnight. (If jar lids haven’t sealed or “popped” after one hour, refrigerate jar and mark as “ready for snacking!”)
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 20A�minute(s)
About Taste Tested
From the farm to the table, it�s easy to be inspired by Ontario�s endless parade of edibles. WithA�?Taste Tested?, OCTA�s staff are sharing their freshest finds and dishing outA�their favourites of the season. A�Come discover what�s on our table � literally!