Last weekend, butter tart bakers from across the Kawarthas and Northumberland County came together in Port Hope for the Butter Tart Taste-Off. Every baker put their best tart forward, but thirteen tarts reigned supreme. Next time you’re in the area, try these sensational creations for a unique, unbeatable taste of the region.
Photo courtesy of the Butter Tart Tour. Photo by Michael Hurcomb.
Best Plain Butter Tarts
1. Doo Doo’s Bakery in Bailieboro
2. Betty’s Pies and Tarts on County Road 2 between Cobourg & Port Hope
3. Baked 4U in the East End of Peterborough
Best 100 Mile Butter Tarts
1. The Bakery in Warkworth – Maple Tart
2. Black Honey Bakery in Peterborough – “Farmer’s Field” with Red Fife Wheat
3. Kawartha Shortbread in Fenelon Falls – Maple Pecan
Best Gluten Free Butter Tarts
1. Doo Doo’s Bakery in Bailieboro – Pecan Tart
2. Ste. Anne’s Bakery in Grafton – Pecan Tart
3. Black Honey Bakery in Peterborough – Maple Tart
Best Arts In Tarts
1. Black Honey Bakery in Peterborough – “Group of Seven”
2. It’s a Tie!
Pastry Peddler Café in Millbrook – “The 4th
Doo Doo’s Bakery in Bailieboro – Sweet Potato “The Sheepdogs”
3. Baked 4U in Peterborough – “Coffee Girl” named after the song by the Tragically Hip.
Agatha awards Ste. Anne’s Spa, a Feast On Certified restaurant and bakery in the region second place in the Gluten Free category. Photo by Sarah Byrne.
About The Judging
Judges for the four categories came from across the province. We were lucky enough to be ask to judge the Gluten Free category, an honour that went to Agatha Podgorski – our Director of Community Engagement. Other judges included Errol Nazareth, Fred Penner, Chef Brad Long and Emma Waverman, to name a few. Each category had at least eight entries, so it was so easy task to pick a favorite!
The folks behind the tour also ran a contest where fans of the classic Ontario dessert could enter for a chance to be a judge at the annual competition. Hal Cunningham (100 mile), Jenny Truong (Classic Tarts), and Jennifer Ebbs (Gluten Free) were the lucky winners.
See you next year!